The UP Korea Research Center is organizing its 1st Korea Essay Contest in promoting better understanding of Korea among Filipino youths. It aims to inspire young Filipinos to showcase how two countries and people continue friendship in various social domains.
THEME: “What is the significance of Korean community in the Philippines to you?”
1. The contest is open to any Filipino college students who are currently enrolled
2. Entries must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be automatically disqualified.
3. Entries must be 1,000 – 1,250 words in English.
-They must be in MS Word (NOT PDF).
-They must be in double-spaced 12-point Times New Roman text font with a one-inch margin on all sides of the page.
-Authors whose entries contain references must cite them appropriately and must include a bibliography section at the end (*Bibliography will not be included in the overall word count).
4. Entries must be submitted together with a completed application form:
download from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PIqws5HFz9IvZjbGnaGYlgOntkhjIGIOl9mMm8mX4OQ/edit?usp=sharing
5. Awarded essays will be published online.
6. UP KRC reserves the copyright to publish submitted essays. Once an essay is submitted, it will not be returned.
When: May 20, 2017 (23:59 in Manila Standard Time)
Where: Send your entry via email at email@example.com with the subject line “SUBJECT: UP KRC 2017 Korea Essay Contest”
-Grand Prize: Scholarship for Extramural Korean Class (UP Department of Linguistics), KCC special gifts, Korean Travel Book
-1st Prize: KCC special gifts, Korean Travel Book
-2nd Prize: KCC special gifts, Korean Travel Book
-3rd Prize: KCC special gifts, Korean Travel Book
– Honorable Mention: Korean mug, Korean Travel Book
* All qualified finalists will be awarded a Certificate of Participation.
* Grand Prize:
1) The slot will be for one Korean language module (30 hours) only;
2) The winner may avail of the slot for our 2017 Cycle 3 (Sept-Nov 2017), 2018 Cycle 1 (Jan-Mar 2018), or 2018 Cycle 2 (May-July 2018) only;
3) The winner may only avail of the offered Korean language Extramural Classes in any of the Cycles mentioned above.
Should the winner’s Korean language proficiency/level be higher than the offered classes, s/he may give the slot to another person, provided that that person may enroll within the given period only.
Ms. Pamela Jacar
Senior Office Associate, UP Korea Research Center
3F South Wing, Quezon Hall, UP Diliman
(02) 981-8500 loc 2543
Guidelines and application form for the contest may be downloaded here.