What is STS?
In the University of the Philippines (UP), all students receive financial support from the National Government since the full tuition is much lower than the cost of education in the University. Given that students in UP come from all walks of life, there are those who may not be able to afford paying the full tuition. So UP created the Socialized Tuition System (STS) which provides tuition discount at rates that are based on the assessment of the paying capacity of the household to which a student belongs. This assessment looks at the income as well as the socio-economic characteristics of the household.
The current STS was approved by the UP Board of Regents on 13 December 2013.
Who can apply?
1. Be a Filipino;
2. Be a bonafide undergraduate student. Except for students of Law and Medicine, the applicant must not have a bachelor’s degree. For new students, the applicant must have an admission slip;
3. Never have been adjudged guilty of any offense that carries a penalty of more than 30 days suspension; and
4. Be in need of financial assistance as determined by the University
1. Visit https://sts.up.edu.ph/ and log in using your Student Number and 5-digit PIN.
2. Indicate your intent to apply and your consent to the terms and conditions of STS.
3. Complete your Student Profile with information about yourself and your parents/guardian and siblings.
4. Answer the Household Characteristics questionnaire.
5. Accomplish the Household Income form.
6. Review all entries before proceeding to submission. You cannot view or change your answers after you submit your application.
7. Proceed to submission. You and your parents/guardian need to indicate consent to the terms and conditions of the application.
8. Confirm submission of your STS application.
Results will be released according to the posted schedule. You may view the results by logging into https://sts.up.edu.ph/ using your account. Check out the Announcements tab for any updates during the application period.
Terms and Conditions before applying for tuition discount
The University reserves the right to determine whether the student deserves financial assistance, and the amount and form of assistance. The STS Office, in coordination with the Offices of Student Affairs (OSAs) and the Office of Scholarship and Student Services (OSSS), will organize a fact-finding team to check information submitted by the applicants. STS privileges may be withdrawn when a student withholds or gives false information, without prejudice to other penalties that may be imposed by the University.
All information supplied in the application will be kept secure and confidential. All information may be used by the University for research, with the assurance that personal details of the applicant will be kept secure.
Other sections which you might be interested in: