In its 1332nd meeting on January 26, the UP Board of Regents (BOR) approved the appointment of faculty and researchers as UP Scientists for CY 2017-2019. Thirty-six were new appointments while 32 were retentions and promotions. (See list at the end of article.) They were recommended by the UP System Scientific Career System Committee.
For the duration of the award, a UP Scientist I receives P150,000 per year; a UP Scientist II, P200,000, and, a UP Scientist III, P250,000.
The University’s highest-governing body, presided over by Commission on Higher Education Officer-in-Charge J. Prospero de Vera III, also confirmed approvals done earlier through referendums. These included the Academic Award for Professors Emeriti and the granting of the P10,000 Collective Negotiation Agreement incentive per qualified employee—decided on the 27th and 29th of December last year, respectively.
The proposal for the Academic Award for Professors Emeriti stated that those who have served UP “actively through University-recognized teaching, research or extension work for at least four months in a given year are eligible” to receive the award at the end of that year in the form of a P22,000 stipend. It is “subject to the availability of funds in the Constituent Unit they are affiliated with.”
Apart from the appointments of UP Diliman (UPD) University Librarian Chito N. Angeles, UP Los Baños (UPLB) College of Arts and Sciences Dean (CAS) Felino P. Lansigan, UPD College of Law Dean Fides Cordero-Tan, UP Visayas (UPV) CAS Dean Severa Fe S. Katalbas, and UPV College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences Dean Encarnacion Emilia S. Yap which were reported earlier, the BOR also confirmed the appointments of the following UP officials:
- Office of Alumni Relations Director Jose Wendell P. Capili
- UPLB Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Portia G. Lapitan
- UPLB Vice Chancellor for Research and Extension Rex B. Demafelis
- UPLB Vice Chancellor for Administration Crisanto A. Dorado
- UPLB Vice Chancellor for Planning and Development Marish S. Madlangbayan
- UPLB Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs Serlie F. Barroga-Jamias
- UPV Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Gay D. Defiesta
- UPV Vice Chancellor for Administration Mary Ann T. Gumban
- UPV Vice Chancellor for Planning and Development Martin G. Genodepa
- UPV Vice Chancellor for Research and Extension Rolly G. Fuentes
- Korea Research Center Director Eduardo T. Gonzalez
UP Scientists effective CY 2017-2019
(Arlyn VCD Palisoc Romualdo, UP MPRO)