Dr. Ricardo P. Babaran was formally installed as the 10th chancellor of the University of the Philippines Visayas (UPV) on August 29 at the UPV Little Theater, Iloilo City Campus. He has assumed office on November 1, 2017 and is serving a three-year term.
Babaran is a faculty member of the College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences where he also earned his BS Fisheries degree. He graduated with the MS Engineering degree from the University of Washington and earned his Ph.D. in Fisheries Science at Kagoshima University in Japan.
Among others, the Chancellor has started steering the University towards the following agenda:
• strengthening academic programs;
• strengthening institutional synergy with similar institutions for agriculture, and fisheries research and sustainability;
• strengthening international institutional linkages;
• integrating health and wellness agenda into the university’s operational policies to address apparently high incidence of cancer cases and other diseases among faculty and staff ;
• laying the groundwork for supporting the emerging bid of UPV Tacloban College to become the 9th constituent university of UP; and
• facilitating the construction and renovation of structures in UPV’s three campuses.
CHED-OIC Prospero De Vera and UP President Danilo Concepcion led the investiture rites which was attended by the members of the UP Board of Regents, UP officials, SUC Presidents, government officials, faculty, staff, students, alumni, fishers; and various stakeholders. (With reports from Lyncen M. Fernandez, UPV Information and Publications Office)